Thursday, July 15, 2010

Art? appreciation...

Kevin has been taking an art appreciation class to finish off his bachelors degree and had to go to some art galleries. He invited me to go along so we left the kids with the in laws and headed out. I knew that I have a narrow view of what are is but i couldn't believe what passes at art these days. For example this is something I've been doing in church since... well for a long time






put it on a 5x5 foot canvas and you have a 2500 dollar art piece









ok I can kind of see how that can be considered art... anyone want to buy mine?




But this...






When did the bar code on my groceries turn in to art?


I saw a canvas painted blue, granted different shades of blue, with 7 of these bar codes pasted on. They looked like they could fall off at any moment too.
Anyone want to guess what the artist was asking for price was?

20?
no
30?
no
50???
nope
100???
wrong again :)
ill just tell you cause this could take awhile...


950.00


Tell you what,

let me make one for you and Ill only charge you 900, mkay?

This is all opinion so I hope I haven't offended anyone reading who may enjoy art that makes a statement. the statement I like my art to make is... I'm obviously a mountain scene, or an ocean seen, or a person lounging on the beach or... well I think you get my gist